Sunday, June 2, 2019

Time Had Come To Unite The Clan

Today was a first (at least since the middle of the last century) where multiple lineages of Luncefords/Lunsfords all descending from Baldwin Lunsford gathered together for a family reunion in Marshall, Virginia. And what a day it was, spectacular weather and the chance to enjoy good food and to meet distant cousins, many for the first time.


A future post will highlight group photos of the various sub-clans once I can get them in and processed. But for now, I'm including this shot of me, my second cousin Edgar Allen Lunsford and forth cousin Stephen Dennis Lunsford. All three of us share the same Y-chromosome (haplogroup I1-S2077*) confirming the genealogy paper trail and proving paternal descent back to our earliest genetic ancestor, Benjamin Lunsford (abt 1793-3 Apr 1869).


On the way in we stopped at the Marshall cemetery to pay our respects to our ancestors buried there and to place fresh flags on the grave of my great-great grandfather Elijah Chilton Lunceford (1829-1921). The First National (CSA) and 1861 Virginia State flags were provided courtesy of the Sons of Confederate Veterans.

No comments:

Post a Comment